Anything goes here OT stuff is OK too!
BUTTON_POST_REPLY
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876
JoinedCOLON Thu May 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: 2016-17 BBKL Google Sheets

Post by kyuss »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON
kyuss wroteCOLONactually it doesn't, thanks to that weekly lineup column most of the times you wouldn't need to scroll down if not for the current placement of the salary cap box.
Its current placement might seem logical from a layout/theoretical standpoint, but I don't think it's logical from a functionality standpoint when it partially negates the purpose of such box, as it should show you how the payroll moves against the cap while you adjust your weekly lineup. Might not be a big deal, but I don't see why not having it in its most functional & handy place.

Not everyone digs change so I expected some push back with this. All you have to do is scroll a little...it's not a big deal
I said myself it is not a big deal, I just don't see why change that thing for the worse when we could have it the other way
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Shoalzie wroteCOLON
In all honesty, the idea of roles and the line chart isn't even necessary. A sheet could just be a simple list of all your players with their salary and you just need to say if they're active, on the bench, on IR or in the minors. We don't need any of this other stuff
I know, but that wouldn't change anything as for the need of scrolling down under the current page set-up
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm
LocationCOLON Portland, MI
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

When we can have up to 90 players on a roster...there's going to be scrolling no matter what. I don't know why this is such a big deal to you. I'd understand your beef if I had the information below the spot where your 89th and 90th players would appear. Just go with me on this please.
DETROIT RED WINGS | ROSTER | FANTRAX
Handsome&FairMike
PostsCOLON 4810
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Wolfville, NS

Post by Handsome&FairMike »

One guy complaining Scott. I think it's more than fine. awesome work.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario, Canada

Post by kimmer »

wow
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONWhen we can have up to 90 players on a roster...there's going to be scrolling no matter what. I don't know why this is such a big deal to you.
it's not a big deal, I never said it is myself. I just can't understand why you would make that particular thing less functional while putting up such a big effort to make it better overall
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

It's not like the information is missing, it's just in a different place. Since I'm taking on this rather large task, I think I'm allowed to have some creative license on how this thing looks. If the information was missing, I'd understand the complaint but you're bickering about spreadsheet feng shui.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

I spent a lot of the weekend on data entry but I'm dealing with some performance issues with building the database. I might have to breakup the database into multiple sheets which shouldn't affect how you view the info. It'll just be imported differently. I hope to have this resolved tonight and I'll continue with data entry. Thanks for everyone's patience...
koomzzz
PostsCOLON 1245
JoinedCOLON Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm
LocationCOLON Cleveland, OH

Post by koomzzz »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONI spent a lot of the weekend on data entry but I'm dealing with some performance issues with building the database. I might have to breakup the database into multiple sheets which shouldn't affect how you view the info. It'll just be imported differently. I hope to have this resolved tonight and I'll continue with data entry. Thanks for everyone's patience...
this is beautifully done so far. not even sure what the complaint is about honestly. didn't read it all
kyuss
PostsCOLON 14876

Post by kyuss »

Shoalzie wroteCOLONIt's not like the information is missing, it's just in a different place. Since I'm taking on this rather large task, I think I'm allowed to have some creative license on how this thing looks. If the information was missing, I'd understand the complaint but you're bickering about spreadsheet feng shui.
I have been just recommending keeping that thing where it was because that's where it is more useful. If anything it is the new position being dictated by spreadsheet feng shui :)
Shoalzie wroteCOLONI spent a lot of the weekend on data entry but I'm dealing with some performance issues with building the database. I might have to breakup the database into multiple sheets which shouldn't affect how you view the info. It'll just be imported differently. I hope to have this resolved tonight and I'll continue with data entry. Thanks for everyone's patience...
hope you get this solved. Take your time though, there is no urgency in the middle of August
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090

Post by kimmer »

bug report:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =739514809

why does entering one line of player name cause two lines of automatic input without ability to delete?
I figured if I enter the next guys name on cell B4 it would automatically update but it doesn't
Backes takes up two lines of data which is identical
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090

Post by kimmer »

oh and kyuss shut the fuck up already lol
ive been scrolling to see how inconvenient it is
well it isn't
so lol
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090

Post by kimmer »

and why do the guys who are signed still labeled "Unsigned"
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

kimmer wroteCOLONand why do the guys who are signed still labeled "Unsigned"

They don't have their contract info entered. It's a default value. When all the data is finally entered "Unsigned" would apply to players that haven't signed an actual NHL contract.
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

kimmer wroteCOLONbug report:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =739514809

why does entering one line of player name cause two lines of automatic input without ability to delete?
I figured if I enter the next guys name on cell B4 it would automatically update but it doesn't
Backes takes up two lines of data which is identical

Looks like those two rows were referencing row 3 which was odd but it's fixed.
kimmer
PostsCOLON 18090

Post by kimmer »

Thxx
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

After some headaches, the splitting and re-assembling of the database is complete. Performance has definitely improved from my end. Let me know how things are going for you beta users.

I'll get back to more data entry this weekend. I'll give sheets to another series of teams starting next week. If you want in...let me know. I'll probably just give sheets to anyone who wants one. I'll make the remaining sheets available after U.S. Labor Day.
dave1959
PostsCOLON 5138
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm
LocationCOLON Ontario

Post by dave1959 »

looking great so far Shoalzie!!
hong57
PostsCOLON 7106
JoinedCOLON Mon May 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Post by hong57 »

thanks for all the effort scott! so if the spreadsheet are finalized can you send me the template so I can start checking my cap hit haha.. thanks
#91 - John Tavares
Shoalzie
PostsCOLON 12673
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Shoalzie »

If there's not been problems of late, I think we go league-wide with this any time. If you haven't sent me your Gmail, please do so. I'll work on getting those out to everyone.

Current contract info is about 2/3 done. I'd like to be done with it before Labor Day weekend but it might end up being that following week.
BUTTON_POST_REPLY

Return to